Tuesday 8 October 2013

The Adventure of the Yellow Face

I picked up The Complete Sherlock Holmes in a charity shop a while ago and have been working my way slowly through the 1122 pages.

Last night I read The Adventure of the Yellow Face, which is remarkable for two reasons: firstly, as Watson states up front, Holmes is completely wrong about the case (although he clearly says that his theory is the most probable one that fits the facts); and secondly, Holmes and Watson don't actually do anything other than encourage the main protagonist to do what he was probably going to do anyway.

I keep thinking after every short story "Hmm. That was a bit, er, short." but I keep reading them. There really is something about the characters of Holmes and Watson that is very compelling... even though, on several other levels, some of the stories seem a bit rubbish.

No comments:

Post a Comment