Monday 21 October 2013

Life of Pi

I haven't read the book of Life of Pi because I tend to avoid books that win major prizes. I'm not really into literature in the high-brow sense, and assume that people who give prizes are. So I only read books based on personal recommendations or because the cover catches my eye in the library.

With those prejudices in mind you may now choose to totally ignore what I thought of the film version of Life of Pi.

It is a very pretty film. Visually stunning in many, many ways. There are lots of fascinating shots and I'm told that it is one of the few films that is worth watching in 3D (I saw the 2D version).

The first part of the film, about Pi's early childhood, is interesting. Then we get to the main part of the film. Which I didn't find interesting at all. I'd seen the posters for the film, so I knew one of the "surprises" already. If I was supposed to share his boredom, then I did.

There is no real tension because the story is narrated by the adult Pi all along. So you know he isn't going to die, or chew his own arm off. I was just waiting for the end for the whole of the last hour.

The ending is clever and redeems some of the torture, but not enough. Sorry, I just didn't enjoy it at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment