Tuesday 22 October 2013

Leap Year

The review I saw for Leap Year said it was a Mexican psychological thriller in which a terribly lonely woman embarks on a course of sexual experimentation.

I'm an adult male, so it sounded worth a look (so to speak).

This is actually a very bleak film. I think on balance I'd rather I hadn't seen it.

There are several problems I had with it. Firstly, the opening 30 minutes sets the scene of how lonely Laura is. This is done quite well, but it becomes monotonous and I might have given up on another day.

The next 30 minutes show the build up towards February 29th. This is why the film is called Leap Year, something significant happened to Laura on that date. I wouldn't call this sexual experimentation. It was disturbing to watch and on another day I would have stopped watching at various points.

The final 30 minutes moves towards a shocking conclusion, but doesn't make it. At least, it doesn't reach the shock I expected (or feared) but instead shocks you with something entirely more bleak and hopeless.

There are some unanswered questions which I guess you could call "thought provoking". But really I just want to forget about this film as soon as possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment