Sunday 6 October 2013

Petty Romance

I'll start with something I know. Film. Petty Romance is billed as a Korean romantic comedy... don't let that put you off if you don't like rom-coms (guys) because this is more fun than most.

Subtitled films always have the potential to draw me in more than English language films, because you can't really look away without missing something. And this film definitely passes the Do I pause to pop into the kitchen for a beer? test.

The initial draw (no pun intended) here is that the film is set in the world of adult comic publishing. Sex and comics. Those are things I have always been fascinated with! And the director makes great use of his opportunities to mix the comic and real world.

Of course, part of the film is about the relationship between the male and female lead character. But the charm of this film is that the characters are trying to sort out other big problems in their lives and the romance becomes another part, another problem, for them to deal with.

It also doesn't try too hard to be funny. The humour just slots in nicely here and there.

I'm not going to score films on this blog. Either I like a film, or I don't. I liked Petty Romance.

No comments:

Post a Comment