Saturday 12 October 2013

Red Road

I found Red Road uncomfortable to watch, for several reasons.

It is the story of a CCTV operator in Glasgow. As I walk around and see cameras pointed at me all the time, I don't like to think of there being real people behind them watching me. Seeing a depiction of the operators, watching, following and assessing, therefore gives me the creeps. They do help people, but they are also voyeurs.

Then there is the pace of the film. I found it too slow for my liking. It works up to a point; I was constantly thinking something bad is going to happen soon and fretting for the main character. The motivation is also revealed very subtly, which I liked. But there are too many false starts and I eventually found myself wanting to switch off, but staying with it because I wanted to know what happened at the end.

The conclusion is also disturbing and thought provoking. I wondered would she really do that? and I think the fact that the answer is unclear is a real credit to the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment