Saturday 26 December 2015

Ant Man (2015) review

I saw Ant Man at the cinema, back when I wasn't blogging much, and just got the disk for Christmas. Like all the best Marvel films it does lend itself to rewatching several times. Because it is funny and exciting, in its own ways.

Probably like many people who saw this film, I didn't know the character beforehand. I've read a lot of comics, but not seen much of him. I remember the name Hank Pym. But I recall him being referred to in the past tense mostly, or as someone who was off looking for something somewhere else.

But then I hadn't heard of The Guardians of the Galaxy either and that made a pretty damn good film.

All the news about Ant Man before the film was released seemed to be about how the writing was a mess because of changes to the team during development. But I didn't see any of that in the final film. It seems to hold together nicely to me. The tone is consistent throughout.

I liked the comedy elements. The action scenes were quite distinctive, since this is a character with pretty unique powers. And it was a nice touch tying in to The Avengers as they did.

Michael Douglas is great as the old Ant Man. Paul Rudd is great as the new Ant Man. Evangeline Lilly is going to be awesome as The Wasp in films to come.

The bad guy is whats-his-name from House Of Cards. Boo hiss. Yes, decent baddie.

Estranged wife and child; cop step-dad; comedy gold partners in almost victim-less crimes.

OK, so it doesn't stand up to a lot of analysis. But it is a lot of fun and I really enjoyed it. If this is the weakest film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe then that's only because the other films are so brilliant... (and it is better than at least The Incredible Hulk and Thor 2 in my opinion).

No comments:

Post a Comment