Monday 18 June 2018

Gantz

I saw an animated movie on Netflix called Gantz: O a while ago. It was very futuristic, a bit weird, and obviously based on a Japanese Manga comic. Quite enjoyable. I even watched it again one night when I was drunk...

Anyway, when I noticed a film called Gantz on Cinema Paradiso I wondered if it was the same one. And I was intrigued to find that it was a live action film of the same material.

But, remembering how much the animated film relied on big dramatic monsters, I assumed that the live action version would probably be a bit rubbish. Like the old Godzilla movies with a badly articulated puppet monster.

It seemed to have a decent rating though. So I thought I would give it a go. There was even a sequel so it couldn't be that bad (I later discovered that both films were shot back to back and released a few months apart).

And it is quite good. Mostly the same story as Gantz: O but different enough that I wasn's always sure what was going to happen next. Not as spectacular because it doesn't have the budget for lots of amazing effects, but enough to make you buy into the concepts.

So overall I enjoyed it and am looking forward to part 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment