Saturday 16 January 2016

You, The Living (2007) review

Comedies are such a broad church that risking a foreign-language one might seem foolhardy. Often the humour of another country just doesn't translate (sometimes literally). And for me that includes many American films (I can't stand the works of Will Ferrell and Adam Sandler for example).

But sometimes it pays off. And this Swedish film is one of those examples... I think.

It's not hilarious, roll on the floor laughing, stuff. It's weird. It's odd.

For long periods I was wondering what the hell was going on. But it keeps throwing in the odd chuckle and connecting events back to previous scenes. In that way it is a bit like a good comedian with a set that builds jokes on top of previous threads.

So each scene that I found funny was because of what had come before, rather than just for the scene itself... which applies also to the ending.

Subtle or weird? Clever or silly?

Hard to say. Very much down to personal preference. So I would think twice before recommending this film to a general audience. I can think of people I know who might love it; and also people who I'd bet would hate it.

Also quite hard to describe. Phrases that sprang to mind whilst watching it were "slow motion slap-stick" and "Tarantino without the violence" ... but neither is very accurate :)

No comments:

Post a Comment