Tuesday 12 January 2016

Whiplash (2014) review

Both compelling and frightening at the same time. Whiplash tells the story of a young jazz drummer at a top music school.

SPOILERS

Miles Teller and J.K. Simmons play out the story of student and bullying teacher so convincingly that I was totally drawn in. I could hardly look away as Andrew tried harder and harder to impress only for Fletcher to get harder and harder on him.

The bullying scenes were very disturbing for me to watch.

At the end I felt exhausted.

Then, looking back, I was a bit confused and even disappointed about the message the film was presenting.

Put aside some of the contrived situations like Andrew losing the music folder and getting a break in the band as a result. And the silly notion of walking away from an overturned car wreck to then run on stage and try to play drums with a gaping head wound.

No. The key message of the film is that Fletcher believes it is OK to treat students really badly if that pushes them to greatness. Even worse. He believes he has a duty to push them.

But when Andrew does produce a great performance at the end of the film. He shares a smile with Fletcher. So is the film saying that the ends do justify the means?

After a few minutes thought, my enjoyment of the film had turned to dismay. The film justifies bullying. Bullying which we are told has lead to the suicide of at least one student.

So I applaud the performances and the general concept of the film. It was really well done. But I can't accept the conclusion. Bullying is never OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment