Monday 25 January 2016

Dakota Blue Richards

While I was watching Endeavour a few weeks ago (series 3 episode 2) I started to get that funny feeling that I had seen one of the characters somewhere before.

WPC Trewlove was a pretty girl who just reminded me of someone. At first I thought it was my late wife (if you swap blonde for dark hair) but it wasn't. After a while I realised that it was more to do with how she spoke than how she looked. She did look familiar, but she sounded more familiar... only occasionally though, as if it were some characteristic of her own accent that just managed to slip through the character's accent from time to time.

As the programme went on I was tempted to go get my laptop and look up the cast during one of the ad breaks. But I didn't. In the spirit of Morse I wanted to work it out myself.

And I did!

It suddenly came to me that if her voice was more familiar than her face then maybe she had been a child actor. As soon as I thought that the next time she appeared on screen it was obvious - Lyra from The Golden Compass. Which I happened to watch over Christmas, so I should have spotted it earlier.

I thought she was rather good in Endeavour. And she is in episodes 3 and 4 too, so I hope she is going to be a regular character in the next series as well.

Here is a photo I found of her,


Which does look quite a bit like Jo, but she had straighter hair.

I am tempted to track down some more of her work. But she doesn't seem to have done many films, mostly teenage TV stuff that I probably wouldn't like.

It's a real shame that the second and third films of His Dark Materials were never made with the same cast from The Golden Compass. I really enjoyed the books and the first movie... which was successful worldwide so why did the sequels fall by the wayside?

Anyway, I hope to see Miss Richards again in the next series of Endeavour and maybe more.

No comments:

Post a Comment