Saturday 23 January 2016

Fighting Demons (2015) review

This film doesn't seem to know what its title is. Here in the UK it was released as "Fighting Demons", in the US it was released in some places as "Any Day" and in others as "Resentment". I think Fighting Demons is a good title since it is about someone fighting their demons... duh... but maybe that expression doesn't translate in other counties?

I like Sean Bean but don't remember seeing him in a lead role before. Which is odd because he is a good actor. He also does a pretty decent American accent... although I should probably defer to the opinion of any actual Americans on that point.

His "100% Blade" tattoo is clearly visible several times in the movie. I doubt there are many Americans who follow Sheffield United, so I guess people will assume that means something else.

Anyway, to the film. I really liked the pace of it. Vian kills a man in a pointless drunken fight and we pick him up 12 years later as he is released from prison.

He has problems. But doesn't give up trying to get his life back on track. In that sense this is quite an inspirational film. For the most part it is quite believable and heartening. Then there is a tragedy which does knock Vian back and everything gets dark and very emotional... I was in tears.

There is a further twist at the end which I thought was a bit weak, but I don't mind because it lead to a good ending... maybe there was a better way to do it... I don't know.

The best part for me was that it didn't go for the obvious happy ending where everything works out for Vian. It is all about hope and trying. He is heading in the right direction and he are left hoping that he will keep on the right path.

No comments:

Post a Comment