Saturday 5 March 2016

Mystic River (2003) review

Story. Story. Story...

... that's the only thing that I can think is wrong with this film. Because despite some great performances from the 3 leads Sean Penn, Tim Robbins and Kevin Bacon, I just didn't enjoy it.

I enjoyed plenty of the scenes. But I didn't enjoy the film. Is that down to director Clint Eastwood? I don't know. I'm struggling to put my finger on it. But I think that ultimately the story doesn't work.

Perhaps it is a little bit too contrived? There are an awful lot of coincidences that are each OK, but as a whole a bit too much to swallow. That's probably what is nagging at me. Poor old Dave being a clear suspect for the murder just seems too unlikely. It would have been better if he had been clearly innocent, but implicated anyway just because of people's prejudices... that is more realistic.

Sorry guys. I know a lot of people like this film and it has won awards, which I can see are well deserved, but it didn't work for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment