Monday 14 March 2016

House of Cards (series 4)

I almost gave up on HoC4 after one episode. Because it resumes exactly where the third series ends and doesn't feel like an opener at all. In fact, it doesn't really seem to offer much more than a bitter husband vs wife feud.

Since I enjoyed seeing Frank + Claire versus the rest of the world, that's not something I wanted to see.

So I actually went a week or so before I decided to give it a couple more episodes.

I'm glad that I did, because the middle part of the series is great, but ultimately I have to say that the ending left me flat.

The main problem with this US "remake" is that it is drawing out the whole thing way too far. In the original UK version there were 3 series. It is rise and fall. Done.

Now I assume there will be a series 5 to wrap up. And I hope they do wrap up properly because it would be a shame to leave things hanging in the hope of a series 6 that fails to appear.

It's the reluctance to draw things to a conclusion that is making HoC much weaker than it could have been. Series 1 & 2 were great. Series 3 was weak and half of series 4 is weak too. But I guess there is just enough there to keep it compelling.

If only the makers had had the confidence to write a solid 3 series and then stop. This would have been a truly great piece of work. As it is, it is just fairly good.

No comments:

Post a Comment