Thursday 29 October 2015

The Golden Dream

There are gritty dramas that make you think. And gritty dramas that shock you. And gritty dramas that are quite dull, or even boring.

The Golden Dream is all of those. I didn't imagine that children would try to migrate from Central America to the US alone. I was shocked by the way they were exploited by almost everyone they encountered on the way. And sadly I was quite bored by the way all these things are presented in this film.

Maybe the long periods where nothing happens are meant to heighten the shock of the shocking parts? That didn't seem necessary... rape, kidnap and murder are always going to be shocking in themselves.

The film just made me feel worse and worse as it went on. But because it dragged on so long, by the end, the very grim end, I just wanted it to be over.

Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment