Saturday 21 June 2014

Carrie

I have read the Stephen King novel Carrie and seen the 1976 film version, starring Sissy Spacek. I'm also not a fan of remakes... so I don't really know why I watched the 2013 version.

Possibly because it stars ChloĆ« Grace Moretz who I thought was brilliant in Kick Ass. Possibly because I thought they might have been able to do something a bit special with modern CGI. I don't know; it was a bit of an impulse.

Anyway, I thought it was quite good. It's a long time since I saw the original film. This one seemed to be pretty much the same, but updated to include 21st century bullying techniques. The other children were much meaner than I remembered. Also, I thought that Carrie's mother was a lot creepier in the original.

Julianne Moore gives a good performance, but I didn't like this version of the character. Maybe just my preference, or dodgy memory. But I seem to think that the mother wasn't physically scary or abusive before; it was all psychological oppression based on her own fear of sin as she understood it.

The main bitchy girl played by Portia Doubleday really is horrible. I didn't think the conspiracy was played up that well though, and the nice kids were just a bit lame. In the novel were all the teachers that dumb, apart from the gym teacher? I don't remember.

Overall, it's OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment