Friday 21 March 2014

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

I haven't read The Hunger Games books, but my younger relatives have so I end up watching the films.

The second film The Hunger Games: Catching Fire is pretty close to the book (I'm told) and progresses the story nicely from the first part. Being a cynical old person I thought it might just be more of the same, but it isn't.

Jennifer Lawrence is great again as the lead. Josh Hutcherson is the wonderfully wooden gooseberry... as he's supposed to be, I think. Woody Harrelson is perfect as the drunk-but-kind mentor. Pleasantly surprised to see another good turn from the often under-rated Jena Malone as the only returning tribute to openly express the anger you'd expect them all to feel.

It is a long film (especially for kids) at 146 minutes; but the time flies by, which is a good sign. In fact I was rather surprised when it finished. But this is a middle film of a trilogy, so you are always going to be left dangling.

Enjoyable film; especially if watched with young fans of the books.

No comments:

Post a Comment