Sunday 9 March 2014

Percy Jackson and The Sea Of Monsters

I really liked the first Percy Jackson film and wondered where the next one might go. There are quite a few books, aren't there? I'm not sure... anyway, Greek Mythology in a modern setting works nicely for me so I thought Percy Jackson and The Sea of Monsters would be worth a try.

Firstly, the title is a bit misleading. Unlike the first film which actually was about a Lightning Theft, The Sea of Monsters doesn't really have a lot to do with sea monsters...

Never mind. We still have Percy, Annabeth and Grover as our 1/2 Olympian equivalents of Harry Potter, Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley. There are plenty of new characters too (and some of the old ones are played by different actors) but for me Tyson is easily the best; as I didn't think the competition between Percy and Clarisse worked nearly as well as it could have done.

The story ticks along nicely. There are some funny bits. There is action. You can guess what is going to happen at the end quite easily. It's all quite light and fun.

Feels a lot like a "middle" film. I assume there will be a third, or more. Enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment