Friday 15 November 2013

The Stoning of Soraya M.

Occasionally I make myself watch a film for my own good, rather than because I expect to enjoy it. The Stoning of Soraya M. is such a film. The title doesn't leave you in much doubt that this isn't going to be a barrel of laughs... or have a happy ending.

Living a comfortable life in the West, I think it's worth reminding yourself that life in other countries is significantly harder; particularly for women.

So this film has been on my watch list for a while. Waiting for the right moment. And I eventually started watching last night. But I didn't finish it.

The film opens well and builds some intrigue. Then it goes into a graphic description of the abuse that Soraya suffers before (I assume) her false conviction and stoning. I had to stop watching at about 40 minutes. The depiction seemed to be escalating horribly and was very realistic. Much as I wanted to know why she was killed, I didn't want to see it. Maybe because this is supposed to be based on a true story? It felt like I was a voyeur on the actual real suffering of this woman. I bottled out.

I've just read the wiki page about the film and I'm glad I stopped watching. I can't bear to watch real violence against women. The men who commit these crimes disgust me so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment