Thursday 21 November 2013

A Gang Story

Why the film Les Lyonnais is re-titled as A Gang Story in English puzzles me. What's wrong with The Lyon Gang ... I wonder. I don't think Casablanca would have done so well as A Nightclub Story.

Anyway, this is a great French film. The story spans many decades but slides gracefully backwards and forwards in time to show us key moments from the lives of the two main characters Momon and Serge.

I say 'story' but this feels more like an illustration of the relationship between Momon and Serge through the ages rather than a story as such. You get insights into their characters without forcing too much narrative onto them... and I think that works really well.

The acting is fantastic. Gérard Lanvin plays a wonderful, brooding, dark, but somehow principled Momon; balanced perfectly by Tchéky Karyo as his colder, tougher blood-brother Serge.

Well worth a watch. In fact, I will probably watch it again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment