Sunday 21 January 2018

American Gods - season 1

I have been putting off writing anything about American Gods for a week now. It's proving hard to express what I thought about it. I have read the book, but it was several years ago ... more than ten years, in fact.

I remember reading the book. I remember liking the book, a lot. But when I started watching the TV series I couldn't recall anything about the plot and only that there were gods living in America as mostly normal people.

Did I expect the TV show to bring back memories? I think I probably did. But it didn't. I still can't remember what happens... I had to look up online to see if this season covers the whole of the book.

It doesn't. It covers about the first 1/3 of the book.

So does that mean they are planning 3 seasons?

This is probably my issue with the show. It seemed a bit slow. A bit like they are trying to spin out a 1-season book into 3 seasons... in the same way that Peter Jackson spun out The Hobbit (a short book) into 3 long movies.

The narrative is also all over the place, with frequent asides, sometimes whole episodes, to explain the backstory... or even just the main story. It just got annoying.

I liked the characters. But the storytelling is just wearing. I think I might ignore any further series and just read the book again instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment