Tuesday 23 December 2014

Lilya 4 Ever

This is possibly the bleakest film I have ever seen. Almost everything that happens to the main characters is bad. The brief moments of respite only serve to set Lilya and Volodya up for further misery.

So what is the point? Is it just to make the viewer feel bad that some people have miserable lives?

If so then it worked. I felt terrible at the end of this film. It made me feel like the world was a horrible place. I had to go and do something else to take my mind off it.

So I guess this is the cinematic equivalent of a beggar in the street. Most people will walk by without even noticing, some people will feel sorry for them, a small number will offer some assistance; maybe someone will be moved to actually help change things in the long term.

No comments:

Post a Comment