Saturday 13 December 2014

Bayonetta: Bloody Fate

I find that I am usually hot or cold on Japanese anime films. And even the ones I like are a bit baffling. The visuals on Bayonetta are right up there with the best I have seen - the animation is fantastic - and I shouldn't really complain about the clichéd English accent that they gave the main character on the English soundtrack.

But the story is baffling. Even with the lengthy history lesson at the beginning... or maybe because of it. What is going on? Other than knowing that Bayonetta is a witch and there are some creatures that don't like witches, I was pretty lost most of the time.

It's hard to know if the script is better in the original Japanese. Maybe the translation was poor. But the English version is pretty dire... all the dialogue is just so stilted.

Bah. I just wish someone would write a decent script for films like this. The characters have so much potential beyond a few action scenes. Disappointing.

No comments:

Post a Comment