Wednesday 8 October 2014

Too Old

So now I've been writing this blog for just over a year. Why is blog underlined as a spelling mistake in this editor? Shouldn't the editor for a blogging site understand the word blog? (and blogging).

I guess that is a better summary of how I'm feeling about technology than the other examples I had. We get told how brilliant technology is every day, and yet it is also frustratingly awful at so many simple things.

For example: I had to replace my PVR because it died, completely. The new one is a Humax, which is OK, apart from a few really annoying details. Firstly, it doesn't call recordings recordings, it calls them reservations. Why? It makes recordings. They are recordings. Everyone has called them recordings for ever, why change, other than to be different for the sake of it. Secondly, it stores recordings in folders, like a computer. The folders have labels which tell you how many recordings they contain:

1 File(s)
2 File(s)

Surely it isn't beyond the skill of the modern computer expert to make that:

1 File
2 Files

Come on people. Details matter. These machines have all this power and you can't even be bothered to make the labels neat.

Someone told me that I should try using Google Keep for my TODO list. But when I tried to get the app for my phone it didn't show up in the store. It turns out that my phone has too old a version of Android to run it. An app that is a TODO list wont run on my phone because it is too old! And how old is that? About 2 years, I think.

My iPod touch was too old to get iOS 7... let alone iOS 8.

It feels like everything has to be replaced every year, and given a new name, to be relevant. It doesn't matter if things don't work properly today because there will probably be a fix in the update tomorrow... or the day after... and if there isn't then it doesn't matter either because it really wont be a problem the day after that because you'll have bought a new gadget by then and moved onto new problems (sorry, I mean issues).

And don't even get me started on how awful most modern websites are! What is going on? In the race the attract attention, no-one is thinking about the poor souls who are just trying to use things to get something done.

Social media? What a waste of time. Literally.

Connect with your friends and family online? No, an excuse to not visit people in person.

Bah. I can't be bothered to go on. No-one is reading this anyway.

3 comments:

  1. Don't give up Eddie. I read your blog every week!!!

    Dawn G.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My iPod is a Classic ... which isn't even made any more ... because everyone wants email and twitter instead of all their music?

    Anyway +1 for carrying on, dude. I'm reading.

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys. I wont give up just yet.

    ReplyDelete