Saturday 12 July 2014

Martyrs

There are certain types of horror film that I find entertaining, in a way, and other types that I find disturbing. I try and avoid the disturbing ones.

So let this be a warning to people like me who don't like movies that are very dark and very sadistic and psychologically bleak: Martyrs is one of those films.

The reason I feel the need to warn you is that the film is very clever at hiding its true nature. It begins like a psychological thriller. Then it has sections that are gore-horror. The story is quite compelling, which keeps you watching after the point where I normally would have switched off. Then suddenly, almost before you know it, you find you are watching a horrible sadistic nightmare. I nearly switched off... but thought that because of the other twists there might be a light at the end of the tunnel.

There isn't. If you watch this film to the end you will probably regret it. I did.

After the film finished I immediately got out another film to watch to take my mind off what I had seen. There was no way I was going to bed having seen Martyrs... it would have given me nightmares, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment