Saturday 17 May 2014

The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones

I was a bit sceptical about The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones as I thought it might be yet another teen awakening to supernatural power film. And it is. But it's a good one.

Since I haven't read any of the books (I'm nearly 43) I can't comment on the accuracy, but judging by author Cassandra Clare's comments in interviews, she seemed pretty happy with it.

The thing I liked about the film the most was that it didn't feel rushed. There is plenty of uncertainty about who is who, you never know who the heroine should be trusting, everyone seems to have their own agenda, people lie and deceive all the time. It's great, you have to keep on your toes until the end... and even then you're not quite sure who is who.

And yes, the action and effects are good too. Well done Harald Zwart on putting all the pieces together so well.

I thought all the actors were excellent. Robert Sheehan stood out somewhat because I thought I recognised him from something but couldn't place him (he was Nathan in the brilliant Misfits, which nosedived after he left IMHO).

Why the film got such bad reviews in the US is beyond me. I liked it; and the kids I watched it with liked it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment