Tuesday 14 January 2014

Daredevil (extended)

I think I was one of the few Daredevil fans who didn't think the 2003 film was completely terrible. It was far from perfect, but I don't think it deserved the panning it got. Daredevil is always going to be a hard character to portray because (like Batman) he has varied over the years from just tough to almost insane and very dark.

I've known for a while that there was a so-called director's cut of the film which many fans thought was a big improvement. But I'm not a fan of special editions; mainly because the few I've seen have just been too long and didn't improve the film at all (except for Blade Runner obviously).

But I noticed recently that the Blu-ray version of Daredevil is 124 minutes long (the DVD is 99 minutes) and it isn't labelled as a special edition. So what's going on? As far as the Blu-ray release is concerned, the longer version is the only version.

That intrigued me. So after 10 years I thought I'd watch it.

It certainly is an improvement on the theatrical release. The edits are quite major and change the whole tone of many parts of the film. There are extra scenes which develop the characters better and many more subtle changes, such as removing unnecessary narration, which help too.

It's still not perfect. The special effects still look poor compared to later films with bigger budgets and Colin Farrell is still annoying as Bullseye. But the atmosphere and tone of the film are very good. This definitely should be the only version of this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment