Monday 22 August 2016

Olympics 2016

The Olympics are over for another 4 years.

Didn't we (GB) do well. Apparently, yes, according to the medal table. Well, one of the medal tables... I'm not sure that any of them really mean much. But we certainly won a lot of medals.

I say "we", as if I had anything to do with it. I don't even play the Lottery. I did cheer from the side of the road in the 2012 road race, which might have inspired Mark Cavendish and Bradley Wiggins a bit. No. Probably didn't help much.

This was a weird games for me.

I watched some of it on TV. But because of the time difference I didn't stay up late to watch any of the "main" events. So lots of it was second-hand viewing.

The BBC did a decent job, apart from the mad channel switching. I mean, Olympics all night on BBC1 apart from Eastenders... please switch over to BBC2 for half an hour because we have to game the ratings.

Amazingly they did delay the 10pm news for Jason Kenny in the keirin. Which then over-ran massively with those 2 restarts. Go Kenny!!! And Laura!!!

Watched a bit of the Tae-kwon-do ... mixed feelings about that ... should probably call it Tae-do now that punches almost never score?

Even watched some horse things?!? And swimming.

What the hell is BMX about? Top riders got run off the course on lap 1... and out. Madness.

Hazel Irvine presenting. Slightly less annoying than when she ruins the snooker.

Lots of excitement about Usain Bolt (only saw the replays).

Distance runner Brendan Foster declaring distance runner Mo Farah the best British sportsman of all time. Yeah, not at all biased.

But overall a very fragmented experience. Didn't feel like one event at all this time.

Wonder what Tokyo will be like? Would love to go!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment