Sunday 20 April 2014

The Amazing Spider-Man 2

I love all the Spider-Man films; including the mostly forgotten ones from the 1970s starring Nicholas Hammond. Each one has used the best available special effects and been, for its time, literally amazing.

Of course, I don't love all the films equally; and I think it is quite possible that The Amazing Spider-man 2 might be my favourite so far. Not because the effects are great, even though they are amazing. Not because the action is exciting, even though it is awesome.

This film is brilliant because Andrew Garfield portrays a Spider-Man totally conflicted by his love for Gwen Stacy and his fear of putting her in danger. For me this is the central dilemma for any superhero. It is always going to be easier for the bad guys to attack the hero's loved ones than to attack the hero directly.

There is a lot going on this movie, but it doesn't feel too crowded or too long. There are great supporting performance from Jamie Foxx as Electro and Dane DeHaan as the surprisingly menacing Harry Osborn. Sally Field also provides a subtle and understated extra dimension in Peter Parker's life.

But every scene between Garfield and the wonderful Emma Stone is excellent. You feel his angst about breaking the promise to her father. You feel her frustration that he can't get his mind straight; that he can't trust her make her own choice. Does the fact that you know they are a couple in real life make a difference? I don't know. I just know that they both had me believing 100% in their characters.

Great film. I'll be watching it again very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment